DOKweb Content
www.DOKweb.net is a portal dedicated to East European documentary film. The news section provides up-to-date information on upcoming and just completed films, interviews with filmmakers and other documentary professionals, in-depth articles exploring the state of documentary filmmaking in various parts of the region, as well as insightful texts on current trends, funding, etc. The portal also boasts the largest published databases of completed and upcoming documentary films from Eastern Europe, an industry directory, as well as trailers and original video content. www.DOKweb.net is IDF´s key online project that provides comprehensive details on all IDF´s activities and links them with general information service.
Institute of Documentary Film’s Activities
Founded in 2001, the INSTITUTE OF DOCUMENTARY FILM (IDF) is a non-profit training and networking centre based in Prague, Czech Republic, focused on the support of East European documentary films and their wider promotion. Our activities support filmmakers through all stages of completion – development, funding, production, post-production, and distribution. We aim at individual filmmakers (tailored consultations), groups of carefully selected professionals with projects or films (Ex Oriente Film, East European Forum, East Silver, Doc Launch, etc.), broader professional community (East Doc Platform), as well as the general public (portal www.DOKweb.net). We closely work with key int. festivals, broadcasters, distributors, sales agents, markets, or training initiatives and serve as the GATEWAY TO EAST EUROPEAN DOCUMENTARY FILM.

Barroso Dispels Concerns Over Media Programme

President of the European Commission (EC) José Manuel Barroso has denied rumours of an impending dissolution or transformation of the MEDIA Programme after 2013. During his visit to Turku, Mr Barroso listed the many benefits of the scheme and vowed to make it even stronger in EC's anticipated proposal.



[Source: Cineuropa, March 7, 2011]


Barroso Affirms the Maintenance and Reinforcement of the MEDIA Programme

There had been a rumour going around since the latest Berlinale according to which the President of the European Commission (EC) José Manuel Barroso had made a statement on the future of the MEDIA programme and on the possibility of putting an end to it in 2014.

A press release from the EC officially denies this information and clarifies President Barroso’s position on the field of culture. The declaration says:

During his visit to Turku, European Capital of Culture 2011, President José Manuel Barroso said: "The field of culture is a very important one, also for the European economy. Let me mention the MEDIA programme, related to European cinema. There were some reports saying that the European Commission had the intention to reduce it, which is completely inaccurate. On the contrary, if one thinks about something concerning this programme, it is to reinforce it, at least this is what we are going to propose.

The MEDIA programme has been making a great contribution to European Cinema for 20 years now. €1.7 billion has been invested in European cinema. Thanks to that programme, many exchanges and translations were organised, which made the distribution of European movies possible in other parts of Europe and in other parts of the world. These are concrete examples of where the European Union can help what has been done at national or even regional or local level".

In recent weeks, several audiovisual organisations had sent an open letter to Barroso, demanding the maintenance of the MEDIA programme from 2014 onwards [...].

 

Related Articles:
MEDIA PROGRAMME'S FUTURE HANGS IN BALANCE