Cinéma du reel
March 22 – April 1, 2012
Paris | France
Submission deadline: November 15, 2011 (included)
Application form: online available HERE.
The films submitted must be copyrighted in 2011 or 2012 and only films that have not been commercially released or broadcasted in France are eligible for submission for the International competition and the First Films international competition. The festival’s artistic director determines the selection of films and the sections in which they well be programmed. The selectors of Cinéma du reel prefer cinematographic writing and approaches, in a broad understanding of documentary that can sometimes challenge the traditional borders of the genre, whatever the subject, length, format or form. The festival is not, however, seeking news reports, current affairs programs, journalistic-style documentaries, promotional or corporate films.
- All films sent to the festival must be submitted by completing the online submission form available on the official website. It must be also printed, signed and sent along with the DVD (or VHS), postmarked November 15th 2011 at the latest.
- Filmmakers having their film selected at the festival will be personally contacted by mid-January.
- The Festival has facilities for screening 16 and 35mm prints, Beta SP, Digital Beta, HDV Cam, DV, Mini DV, DVCam and DVCPro video tape. The Festival prefers the original theatre print of the completed work. Only quality prints will be accepted.
- Films selected for the International Competitions are screened in their original version with subtitles in French and English. The costs of electronic subtitling in one of these two languages will be borne by the Festival, the other by the production.
- Selected films will be included in the festival’s video library, accessible to professional accreditation holders. However, the video library may also include films that were not selected for the festival itself.
- Festival registration is free of charge.
There are 8 awards with particular financial rewards in each category. The runner-ups are granted with special mention. This list of the 2011 edition awardees is available HERE.
- Grand Prize of the Cinéma du Réel, €8 000 awarded to a film of the International Competition
- Joris Ivens Award €7 500 awarded to a film of the First Films Competition.
- The Library Award, €6 000
- Scam International Prize), €4 600 awarded to a film of the International Competition.
- Louis Marcorelles Award awarded by the Institut français in the form of purchase of rights multilingual DVD and valued to €10 000.
- The Youth Jury Award - Cinéma du Réel, €2 500 and awarded to a film from the International Competition, the First Films Competition, the Contrechamps français.
- Intangible Heritage Award, €2 500.
- Short Film Prize, €2 500 awarded to a film of the International Short film competition.
Further information available on the official website.
Cinéma du réel
BPI Centre Georges Pompidou
25, rue du Renard
75197 Paris cedex 04
Tel : 00 33 1 44 78 45 16