There are 40 awards available annually of up to 5,000 Euros each, given through quarterly open calls. The awards are open to emerging and established filmmakers working anywhere in the world.
We welcome one-off, creative documentary ideas of any length and subject, in any style and form, but we are particularly keen on ideas that address creative, social justice, peace or environmental issues globally.
Call for applications closes: December 1, 2010.
What we DO fund:
- In a climate where documentary financing is becoming harder to find, we are thrilled to say that we are open to ideas without any previous footage.
- The Catalyst Awards have been developed specifically to fill this gap.
- If you have no footage and need to capture your central characters to prove the project for further financing, then the Catalyst Awards are for you.
- If you have shot something but need an editor to cut you a trailer then you are also welcome to apply.
- The maximum award is 5,000 Euros
What We DON’T fund:
- Production: If a project is already well into production, there are other international funds that can support you (ITVS, Sundance, Cinereach to name a few). If you are a British or British-based filmmaker, you can apply for the Channel 4 BRITDOC Fund in the REAL FUNDS section of this site.
- Completion: We do not award completion funding on projects - if you are a British or British-based filmmaker, you can apply for the Channel 4 BRITDOC Fund in the REAL FUNDS section of this site.
- We do not give awards retrospectively.
- We do not give awards for archive or music clearance costs.
- We DON’T fund TV Formats, series, or drama.
- We do not give top up funding to films that already have UK broadcaster funding.
- We do not give funding at a fine cut stage.