- About Institute of Documentary Film
- Ex Oriente Film
- East European Forum
- East Silver
- East Doc Platform
- Czech Docs Project
- Other Activities
- IDF Calendar
Hubert Bals Fund
Administered by the International Film Festival of Rotterdam, the Hubert Bals Fund is designed to support feature and documentary films by talented filmmakers from developing countries. Since the Fund started in 1988, well over 530 projects from independent filmmakers in Asia, the Middle East, Eastern Europe, Africa and Latin America have received support. Approximately 80% of these projects have been realised or are currently in production. Every year, the IFFR screens completed films supported by the Fund.
Support for filmmakers from developing countries. Application deadline: August 1, 2014.
Please note that the regulations and applications procedure of the Hubert Bals Fund for project entries have recently changed.
Due to a decrease in the available budget, the HBF has reviewed its policies and regulations for 2014. Therefore, not all funding categories will be open for applications these coming rounds. Please note that:
* for the 2014 Spring selection round, the HBF will only take into consideration applications for Script and Project Development.
* for the 2014 Fall selection round, the HBF will only take into consideration applications forScript and Project Development and Postproduction/Final Financing.
The next deadline for project entries is 1 AUGUST 2014.
Please refer to our Frequently Asked Questions website for more information about the recent changes in the rules and regulations of the HBF. (http://www.filmfestivalrotterdam.com/professionals/hubert_bals_fund/faq/)
Rules and regulations:
1.1 General rules
* The Hubert Bals Fund gives financial support twice a year
* The application form will be available 1 week before the deadline
* Next application deadline is 1 August 2014
* The complete dossier for Script & Project development needs to be available for submission at the time of applying
* Incomplete applications will not be taken into consideration
* It is essential that the filmmaker is a citizen and lives and works in a developing country mentioned on the DAC-list. Please note: the DAC-list has been updated!
* Application materials and subtitles should be in English
* Applications can only be submitted in the same category more than once when specifically invited to do so
* The selection committee's decisions can not be appealed
1.2 Selection criteria
Although the Fund has no rigid rules and each individual project will be judged on its own merits, there are certain limits to the field in which the Hubert Bals Fund operates.
* The prime consideration of the selection committee are the artistic qualities of an application
* The country of development and production should be on the DAC-list
* The entry should be original, authentic and rooted in the culture of the applicant's country
* The project should contribute to the development of the local film industry and the local filmmaking skills
* The Fund only participates in projects that have strong possibilities to succeed in gathering the rest of their financing. Applicants who approach the Fund should have other interested partners in place
* The Fund is restricted to the support of feature films and creative feature-length documentary projects with theatrical potential. Shorts, documentaries and films specially made for television will not be taken in consideration. Creative documentary applications are only accepted for the Post-production category. Possible support for documentaries should be addressed to the IDFA Bertha Fund of the International Documentary Festival Amsterdam.
For more information about fund categories and regulations please visit: http://www.filmfestivalrotterdam.com/professionals/hubert_bals_fund/projectentry/
Hubert Bals Fund
International Film Festival Rotterdam
3001 AR Rotterdam